Only Children unite! We are special! We are misunderstood! We are good in ways Ordinary Children can never achieve! If you are one of the unlucky Ordinary who had to share with brothers and/or sisters while growing up, we pity you, and please allow us some sharp elbow room as we take a moment to celebrate the goodness of Only Children. We understand only Only Children will understand most of this post.
1. We are never bored and that is the main hallmark of being an Only. We do not need to be entertained by you or by anything else. We do not need to be “looked after.” We behave by default. We find deep fun in our mind and we can sit for hours, isolated and immobile, in many worlds of our choosing.
Only Children grow into Autonomous Adults.
2. We love to work and play with other Onlys. We know we can depend on each other because we choose to unite by want instead of being required by blood.
3. Only Children are creative. We make our own inner worlds!
4. Onlys self-start faster and work harder than Ordinarys because our stimulation to succeed is generated from within and not from the approval or pressure of outside forces. No one is harder on an Only than the Only.
5. We are quiet.
6. We are rarely obnoxious.
7. We reject the “70’s” Kindergarten Grade Report labels of being “withdrawn” and awkward and “too quiet” and “distant” and “doesn’t play well with others” and “lonely.”
8. There’s a difference between being alone and being lonely!
9. We are never lonely!
10. We love being alone!