Some amateur authors are bemoaning the fac Amazon takes a 65% cut of your Kindle-published book sales.
What those inexperienced authors fail to realize is a normal hardcopy publisher will take a 94-90% cut of the price of your book as payment to recover the cost of creating and printing your book and as the means of making a profit off your words.
These non-professional authors complain about receiving a 35%
royalty on a book they upload and on a book on which they set the
Here’s why you pay Amazon 65% to sell your book on Kindle:
- Kindle is a closed platform — you have to pay something to play
- Your book is stored on the Amazon servers
- Amazon advertises your book
- Amazon indexes your book
- Amazon provides search returns that can include your book
- Amazon collects your book purchases and pays you
- Amazon allows you to publish your book with them
- Amazon is the cutting edge of self-publication
- Amazon cuts out traditional publishers and agents
As you can see, publishing your book on Amazon Kindle is a steal:
For the author!