After 20 years of using only DOS and Windows I am slowly making the switch over to the keen new Apple MacBook and MacBook Pro computers.
With an entry point of $1,000.00 USD for the MacBook there are going to be a lot of new sales to Windows Heathens like me who can’t resist a bite into an Apple running an Intel chip especially when our lives are becoming more and more image and video manipulation.
An hour after my MacBook arrived I leapt online and ordered a MacBook Pro to round out my new family because I know Janna
will steal this tiny MacBook from me the second I turn my back.
I am planning a full-on review of both MacBooks.
I am, however, a
little confused how to work with the new OS X Apple way of thinking.
The documentation included with the machine deals with ports
identification and new features that require previous experience with
Macs as a reference point. If you’re coming from a Windows-centric
world there are some things that cannot naturally be intuited.
If you know the answers to the following MacBook questions, please let
1. What are the must-have programs I need to buy?
2. How do you uninstall something? Do you just drag the program and/or
its folder to the Trash or do you have to uninstall an application from
a specific place so all bits and pieces of it it will be entirely
removed from you hard drive?
3. What program to do use to do secure FTP?
4. What program do you use to code websites?
5. How is a Mac hard drive organized? Let’s say I have a folder on my
Windows machine that contains all the files and important data for my
websites. Do I just copy over all those files to the MacBook to use
them? If yes, where, exactly, do I put the files on the MacBook — in a
folder in the Applications folder or somewhere else?
6. How do you handle .ZIP files on a Mac?
7. When you choose to update your software — does the MacBook update
all software installed on your MacBook or do you have to do a software
update for every individual program?
8. What program do you use to capture publishable screenshots?
9. I thought Macs were known for their beautiful fonts. I think the
fonts on my MacBook look fuzzy and rather ugly! Is there any way to fix
that problem? I guess ClearType on Windows spoiled me more than I realized!
10. What is the practical difference between Firewire 400 and Firewire 800?
11. Internet Explorer for Mac is dead. What do you use for sites that require IE? Safari? Firefox?
12. What program do you use to manipulate images and then save them for the web?
13. What are good resources to use online for MacBook information and for seeking further help?
14. What didn’t I ask that I should have asked?
15. What do I need to know that you know I don’t yet know that you know I don’t know will cause a future problem?
That’s it for now and I appreciate any and all insight you might be able to offer.